Monday, February 10, 2014

Touring DC: Capitol Hill, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Smithsonian Native-American Museum

On Sunday, I actually did for the first time real sightseeing in downtown DC. I got off Union Station and walked towards the dome of Capitol Hill. Getting closer to the American version of a parliament, the Capitol becomes more and more majestic. Standing in front of it, gave me the same feeling that I had when standing in front of Versaille in Paris or the St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. You feel that the buildings went already through a lot of historic events, famous people frequented them and this is what makes them majestic. 

I also went to see the Supreme Court and the Library of Congress. However, I was not lucky because both are closed during the weekends. Therefore, my impressions will come at a later point. 


My final destination on this pretty freezing day was the Smithsonian Native-American Museum. 

The museum itself is pretty small and it is discovered quickly. Personally, I think it is great that this institution exists because it makes people aware of the sufferings of indigenous people in the Americas especially in the past. The exhibitions also focus on the current situation of different tribes including: 

What does "Native" mean? When is someone considered "native"?


The different faces of the indigenous world:


The exhibition also emphasized that the voice of the indigenous people is heard. And there is a UN Committee called the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues providing a platform to discuss indigenous issues related to economic and social development, culture, the environment, education, health and human rights.  


Typical indigenous art:








No comments:

Post a Comment