Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 23 and 24

On Thursday, my first real working day started. I had to be at the office at 9 am but, since I wanted to prepare a little for the day, I arrived there around 8:40. As soon as my program coordinator ran in, my training continued and I learned more about website updating, and how to make membership and event payments. I also made myself familiar with talking rules on the phone because I felt that my coordinator wants me to talk professionally, and not too casually on the phone.
During my lunch break I attended a seminar organized by the internship coordinator from DC, and we got to know the head of the Washington office of Brystol-Myers Squibb, a drug company. He explained us his role and the role of pharmaceutical companies and their impact on federal policy. I am honestly no expert on pharmaceutical policies, but what I superficially know is that these companies are responsible for high drug prices, an immense variety of different drugs for tiny physical issues, and for profit hunger. His answer to some questions were pretty standard without a lot of content. I mean, we obviously know that this is how it works in DC, and anywhere else where decisions are being made. 

On Friday my training basically finished, and I got several tasks that I had to fulfill by myself. I enjoyed it already a lot to be actively involved in the responsibilities of the Association. Since we will have an event coming up on Friday January 31st, it is pretty busy right now when registering interested people. However, I I prefer being busy instead of being bored. 
Tomorrow I will have a lunch meeting with the president of the Young Trade Professionals. I will also play an active role for the YTPs especially according to event planning and marketing. 

I am excited for this coming week since several interesting events are going on for instance a board meeting on Tuesday, and the Congressional Trade Agenda on Friday that I mentioned before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment